Regional Director – Michigan
The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, a non-profit, wildlife habitat conservation organization seeks a performance-motivated team player with strong interpersonal skills to engage and manage volunteer activities, event fundraising and major gift fundraising in Michigan. BS/equivalent degree and five years of experience in business, fundraising and volunteer management required. Pro-hunting background is critical. Extensive weekday and weekend travel required. Email letter of interest and resume to email@example.com by April 4th.
RMEF is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V
Field Operations is the primary fundraising structure of the RMEF. Regional Directors organize local volunteer chapters to hold fundraising events, principally banquets, and perform major gift development activities to support the continued operation of RMEF and finance elk and wildlife conservation projects.
In addition to event-related fundraising, Regional Directors solicit donations of major gifts directly from donors or through RMEF members, volunteers and other contacts.
Regional Directors in designated elk states generally serve as the chair of their respective state project advisory committee from which conservation project recommendations are made for RMEF funding.
- Form RMEF fundraising chapter committees comprised of local volunteers.
- Organize, guide and assist chapter committees with the planning, organization and execution of successful fundraising events, including big game banquets, to meet annual budget projections.
- Actively utilize key RMEF volunteers, including regional, state, and district chairs, to assist in the identification and formation of new chapters and planning and execution of fundraising events.
- Utilize regional and state chairs to ensure volunteer compliance with RMEF operating and financial policies and reporting procedures.
- Personally solicit, and utilize RMEF volunteers to support solicitation of major gifts in addition to banquet revenues.
- Prepare annual fundraising income projections and operating expense budget proposals.
- Maintain liaison and professional visibility with state wildlife agencies, federal wildlife and land management agencies, university wildlife departments, and non-governmental conservation organizations, sportsmen’s groups, and outfitter/guide associations within assigned region.
- Serve as chair of RMEF state project advisory committee within assigned region, to coordinate the recommendation of specific conservation projects for RMEF funding.
- Promote the goals, objectives, and accomplishments of RMEF through the media and public speaking engagements.
- Represent the RMEF at various meetings, functions, and public relations opportunities, as assigned.
- Submit news items concerning RMEF activities to the RMEF public relations consultant.
- Answer correspondence about RMEF activities and programs within assigned region.
- Maintain all records and submit reports as required by the Director of Field Operations.
- Keep the Director of Field Operations fully informed on all pertinent matters within assigned region.
- Regional Director will be responsible for working with key volunteers in establishing a State Leadership Team and together formulating and following a State Action Plan annually. The Regional Director will serve on the State Leadership Team and oversee the solicitation, review, and recommendation for approval process of the State Grant Program.
Perform other duties as required.
Education and Experience:
Bachelors or equivalent degree in Business, Marketing, Fundraising, Communications or related field preferred, and minimum of five years additional experience required. Prior experience working with volunteers and fundraising preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the RMEF’s mission, goals, organizational structure and activities, including biological, social and political elements that shape them, and the ability to promote them.
- Must possess excellent people skills and be able to develop effective relationships with a wide variety of individuals.
- Must be a self starter with excellent organizational skills and be able to direct and motivate volunteers.
- Must be able to identify future chapter opportunities and recruit volunteers to capitalize on these opportunities to grow the revenue and volunteer base.
- Must be able to understand and determine annual fundraising income projections and operating expense budgets.
- Must be able to work cooperatively with wildlife and land management professionals in government agencies and non-governmental entities.
- Must be proficient in the use of office computer programs including word processors and spreadsheets.
- Must have excellent communication skills both verbally and written. Must be able to speak to large groups of people.
- Must have the ability to work independently without frequent, direct supervision and to remain focused on goals and objectives while also supporting the Regional team when needed.
- Must have the ability to work in and foster a team-oriented environment.
- Must have the ability to resolve conflict and be flexible with changing priorities, and able to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Must be able to develop, cultivate and solicit major gift prospects and follow the Region’s development process while working in unison with the Region’s Development Officer, the Director of Operations, and/or other staff members.
Extensive travel is required on weekdays and weekends. Must also be able to work any day of the week, including weekends. Must be able to work late at night (often until after midnight). Must be capable of sitting for long periods in a car or airplane. Must be able to work at a computer terminal for extended periods, stand for intervals of 2-6 hours, and lift heavy items up to 50 lbs.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of the job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
To apply for this position, please email a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.