March 8, 2021 – The National Deer Association (NDA) is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Senior Development Officer. The Senior Development Officer (SDO) has strategic oversight and operational responsibility for all aspects of philanthropic giving including special events, annual fund, major gifts, deferred gifts, corporate giving and foundation giving. The SDO is responsible for all points of the development cycle including identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship. The SDO is a member of the management team and reports to the CEO.
Position Location: Remote (reasonable access to air travel and high-speed internet)
Date Available: Immediate
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Leadership – serves on the management team. Provides vital input in strategic and operational planning. Helps identify and address development issues that impact the health and effectiveness of the organization.
- Operations – oversees day-to-day development operations and supervision of development staff. Responsible for recruiting, developing and evaluating development staff and aligning their efforts with the culture and values of the organization and its mission.
- Development – establishes, in partnership with the CEO and board of directors, fund development strategy, planning and implementation. Responsible for coordinating fundraising campaigns and identifying funding sources to meet annual development goals.
- Major Gifts – functions as the primary driver of philanthropic giving through cultivation and stewardship of major donors. Responsible for qualifying, cultivating, soliciting, closing gifts, and stewarding donors in close coordination with the CEO.
- Data Management – oversees data analyst to ensure effective use of the organization’s data management and donor management system (currently Raiser’s Edge).
- Collaboration – works with corporate and grassroots staff to establish an integrated, cross-departmental development program. Works with the marketing/communications department to develop strategies to expand awareness of NDA’s vision and priorities, the case for donor support, and the impact of donors in advancing the association’s mission.
- Board Cultivation – collaborates with the CEO and board leadership to cultivate and strengthen the board’s fundraising participation and results.
- Advancement Committee – provides leadership and direction to the association’s Fundraising and Membership Committee, which supports senior staff and the board in fundraising efforts.
- Fiscal Accountability – assures timely and accurate stewardship of charitable contributions, income and expense budgets, reports and programs. Works with the chief financial officer to develop and implement budgets that ensure compliance and accountability.
- Integrity – adheres to the highest ethical standards, exhibits an optimistic and positive attitude, and is sensitive to donor needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, fundraising, communications, public relations or a related field; master’s degree or equivalent a plus
- Proven experience in a leadership role in a fast-paced and evolving or company
- 5+ years of donor development experience with at least 3 years of proven success in major gifts, or financial planning preferred
- 3+ years of supervisory experience
- Preferred experience in multiple fundraising areas such as annual fund, major gifts, events, or planned gifts
- Experience in setting strategy for donor communications
- Proficient knowledge in computer software applications (MS Office) and donor software (Raiser’s Edge preferred)
- Demonstrated experienced creating, directing and actively monitoring the strategic implementation of philanthropic revenue generation, including annual giving; grant-seeking from government, corporate, and private sources; fundraising and cultivation events; major and planned gifts; and corporate giving
- Preparation of detailed plans and budgets
- Sustained success leading, coaching and developing people in a team environment
- Ability to work strategically, set priorities, define goals and outcomes, detail tactics, and achieve results
- High energy, flexible, collaborative and proactive
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop strong individual donor relationships
- A commitment to accuracy, transparency and accountability
- A passion for deer, deer hunting, and wildlife conservation with an ability to inspire others with similar passion preferred
- The ability to attend events and meetings that may occur in the evenings and/or on weekends including a moderate amount of air travel
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Salary and Benefits: The position offers a competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Applicants who do not provide all required information will not be considered. Specific questions about the position can be emailed to Nick Pinizzotto, President and CEO, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
More information: https://www.deerassociation.com/about/employment-opportunities/
About the National Deer Association
Formally launched on November 10, 2020, the National Deer Association is a non-profit deer conservation group that leads efforts to ensure the future of wild deer, wildlife habitat and hunting. Formed by combining the strengths of two long-serving, successful organizations, the National Deer Association has a combined 38 years of action that has changed deer management for the betterment of hunting and protected North America’s most vital and admired game species for future generations.