“Self-defense isn’t one size fits all. So, whether shooters want to carry a 22 LR handgun as a backup gun, do not feel comfortable with centerfire pistols, or simply want to get more versatility from a rimfire handgun,” said Federal’s Rimfire Product Manager, Dan Compton, “Punch makes the 22 LR cartridge a viable defensive choice for the first time ever.”
The Punch 22 LR bullet is a departure from standard 22 LR design. It features a flat nose and utilizes a heavy nickel-plated jacket around a lead core. So not only does it travel faster than competing 22 projectiles, but its design also deliberately minimizes expansion and retains weight to maintain sufficient straight-line penetration. That is a lot to ask from a .22 bullet, which is why other manufacturers have shied away from the challenge. But Federal’s engineering team pulled it off, giving America’s favorite cartridge a chance to prove itself for protection.
“We’ve talked about making a 22 LR defensive load for some time. We finally decided that people are already carrying 22 LRs, so we might as well build a .22 bullet optimized for protection,” said Compton. “After much research, we decided that for a .22 LR defense bullet, penetration was more important than expansion.”
Features & Benefits
- Maximum velocity for energy and penetration; 1,070 fps through 2-inch barrel handguns, 1,650 fps out of 24-inch rifle barrels
- 29-grain nickel-plated lead-core bullet
- Projectile profile and composition optimized for the deepest penetration through short-barrel handguns
- Rigorous function testing ensures reliability
- Nickel-plated case for ease of extraction and corrosion resistance
- 50-count boxes
Part No. / Description / MSRP
PD22L1 / 22 LR Punch Personal Defense 29GR FN, 50CT / $9.99
For more information on all products from Federal or to shop online, visit www.federalpremium.com.
Press Release Contact: JJ Reich
Senior Manager – Press Relations