Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. Reports Second Quarter Diluted Earnings of $1.17 Per Share and Declares Quarterly Dividend of 47¢ Per Share
Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) announced today that for the second quarter of 2022 the Company reported net sales of $140.7 million and diluted earnings of $1.17 per share, compared with net sales of $200.1 million and diluted earnings of $2.50 per share in the second quarter of 2021.
For the six months ended July 2, 2022, net sales were $307.2 million and diluted earnings were $2.87 per share. For the corresponding period in 2021, net sales were $384.4 million and diluted earnings were $4.66 per share.
The Company also announced today that its Board of Directors declared a dividend of 47¢ per share for the second quarter for stockholders of record as of August 17, 2022, payable on August 31, 2022. This dividend varies every quarter because the Company pays a percentage of earnings rather than a fixed amount per share. This dividend is approximately 40% of net income.
Chief Executive Officer Christopher J. Killoy commented on the second quarter of 2022, "Consumer demand for firearms has subsided from the unprecedented levels of the surge that began early in 2020 and remained for most of 2021, resulting in a 30% reduction in our sales from the second quarter of 2021, which was the highest quarter in sales and profitability in our history. Yet our broad and diverse product family helps us weather fluctuations in demand as we adjust production accordingly. While channel inventory of some of our product families, including certain polymer pistols and modern sporting rifles, have been largely replenished, inventories of other product families remain below desired levels."
Mr. Killoy reaffirmed the Company's commitment to new product innovation, "We are excited to continue to expand our Marlin product line with the reintroduction of the Marlin Model 1895 Trapper. This lightweight, stainless steel lever-action rifle is chambered in .45-70 Govt. and features a cold hammer-forged threaded barrel. We continue to increase our production of Marlin rifles and look forward to introducing additional Ruger-made Marlin lever-action rifles."
Mr. Killoy made the following observations related to the Company's second quarter 2022 performance:
- The estimated unit sell-through of the Company's products from the independent distributors to retailers decreased 31% in the first half of 2022 compared to the prior year period. For the same period, the National Instant Criminal Background Check System ("NICS") background checks (as adjusted by the National Shooting Sports Foundation) decreased 17%. These decreases are attributable to decreased consumer demand for firearms from the unprecedented levels of the surge that began in 2020 and remained for most of 2021. The second quarter of 2021 had the highest quarterly distributor unit sell-through in the Company's history, which led to the significant year-over-year decrease in distributor sell-through in the current quarter.
- Sales of new products, including the PC Charger, the MAX-9 pistol, the LCP MAX pistol, and Marlin 1895 lever-action rifles, represented $33.8 million or 11% of firearm sales in the first half of 2022. New product sales include only major new products that were introduced in the past two years. Several popular firearms that were considered new products in 2021, including the Wrangler revolver, the Ruger-5.7 pistol, and the LCP II in .22 LR pistol, have now been in production for over two years and are no longer included in new product sales for the first half of 2022.
- Our profitability declined in the second quarter of 2022 from the second quarter of 2021 as our gross margin decreased from 39% to 31%. In addition to unfavorable deleveraging of fixed costs resulting from decreased production and sales, inflationary cost increases in materials, commodities, services, energy, fuel and transportation, partially offset by increased pricing, resulted in the lower margin.
- During the second quarter of 2022, the Company's finished goods inventory and distributor inventories of the Company's products increased 49,300 units and 28,200 units, respectively.
- Cash provided by operations during the first half of 2022 was $32.4 million. At July 2, 2022, our cash and short-term investments totaled $208.5 million. Our current ratio is 6.1 to 1 and we have no debt.
- In the first half of 2022, capital expenditures totaled $14.3 million. We expect our 2022 capital expenditures to total approximately $25 million, most of which relate to new product introductions.
- In the first half of 2022, the Company returned $27.2 million to its shareholders through the payment of dividends.
- At July 2, 2022, stockholders' equity was $387.0 million, which equates to a book value of $21.90 per share, of which $11.80 per share was cash and short-term investments.
Today, the Company filed its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the second quarter of 2022. The financial statements included in this Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q are attached to this press release. - View Release
Tomorrow, August 4, 2022, Sturm, Ruger will host a webcast at 9:00 a.m. ET to discuss the second quarter operating results. Interested parties can listen to the webcast via this link or by visiting Ruger.com/corporate. Those who wish to ask questions during the webcast will need to pre-registerprior to the meeting.
The Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the second quarter of 2022 is available on the SEC website at SEC.gov and the Ruger website at Ruger.com/corporate. Investors are urged to read the complete Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the second quarter of 2022 to ensure that they have adequate information to make informed investment judgments.
About Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. is one of the nation's leading manufacturers of rugged, reliable firearms for the commercial sporting market. With products made in America, Ruger offers consumers almost 800 variations of more than 40 product lines, across both the Ruger and Marlin brands. For almost 75 years, Ruger has been a model of corporate and community responsibility. Our motto, "Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens®," echoes our commitment to these principles as we work hard to deliver quality and innovative firearms.
The Company may, from time to time, make forward-looking statements and projections concerning future expectations. Such statements are based on current expectations and are subject to certain qualifying risks and uncertainties, such as market demand, sales levels of firearms, anticipated castings sales and earnings, the need for external financing for operations or capital expenditures, the results of pending litigation against the Company, the impact of future firearms control and environmental legislation, and accounting estimates, any one or more of which could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date made. The Company undertakes no obligation to publish revised forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date such forward-looking statements are made or to reflect the occurrence of subsequent unanticipated events.
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. "Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens®"