GREENSBORO, NC- Wrangler®, the great American denim brand that was born in the spirit of the West and the great outdoors, released the first round of featured "Get Inspired for the Great Outdoors" entries on the Wrangler Western Facebook page. Designed to encourage others to spend more time fishing, hiking, exploring, camping, sailing, and enjoying the great outdoors in other ways, the program is open to all outdoor writers and photographers.
Entered photos and essays are reviewed by an internal panel of judges and the following winning entries are featured online at www.wranglerprogear.com
. Winners also receive apparel made by Wrangler Rugged Wear® and Wrangler ProGear®, outdoor garments for angling, hunting, shooting, hiking, camping, birding and other outdoor recreational activities. Selected entries currently featured include:
1. "Bird Dog" - an image capturing the intense muscle and mental focus of a bird dog on point during a hunt at The Clinton House Plantation in Clinton, S.C. It was submitted by Brian Carroll of Mount Pleasant, S.C. Carroll is a member of the South Carolina Outdoor Press Association (SCOPA).
2. "Opening Day" - an essay describing a waterfowler's all-senses-on-alert excitement in the early morning of a new season of hunting. It was written by Ken Bailey of Edmonton, Alberta, a member of Outdoor Writers of Canada (OWC).
3. "Americans in Cities Love the Outdoors" - an essay describing how many "cityfolk" are really "outdoorfolk," too, as they look to woods and waters to guide them home. It was written by Shane Townsend, Austin, Texas. Townsend is a member of Texas Outdoor Writers Association (TOWA) and Outdoor Writers Association of America (OWAA).
4. "The Waiting" - an essay by Dustin Catrett of Winter Garden, Fla., a member of Florida Outdoor Writers Association of America (FOWAA). The essay describes the hunter's emotional made-under-pressure decision - should I or should I not squeeze the trigger - when an unsuspecting buck stands at sculpted attention just yards from his deer blind.
5. "Next Year's Buck" - a photograph, also by Dustin Catrett, that freezes the stare of a young buck before he disappears into the woods.
"Wrangler launched the 'Get Inspired for the Great Outdoors' program to showcase the talent of U.S. and Canadian outdoor communicators, while motivating others to spend more time enjoying the great outdoors," said Ben Elliott, marketing coordinator, Wrangler Outdoor Brands. "These are the first examples of the terrific work done by the best of the best outdoor writers and photographers, and we're looking forward to many more to come."
Individual members of associations of outdoor or boating communicators in the U.S. or Canada are invited to submit images or essays of 150 to 200 words for consideration. Such groups include the Outdoor Writers Association of America (OWAA), Outdoor Writers of Canada (OWAC), Southeastern Outdoor Press Association (SEOPA), Texas Outdoor Writers Association (TOWA), Florida Outdoor Writers Association (FOWA) and Boating Writers International (BWI).
The program is sponsored by Wrangler Rugged Wear and Wrangler ProGear. Garments are sold through outdoor specialty retailers such as Cabela's, Tractor Supply Co., Capra's Sporting Goods and Gander Mountain.
For complete contest details including requirements and how to enter, refer below or visit Wrangler Rugged Wear and Wrangler ProGear online.
Wrangler® apparel is available nationwide in specialty stores, including work apparel chains, farm & fleet, and western stores, as well as through on-line and catalog retailers. To find a retailer or for more information on products visit: http://www.wrangler.com
or call 888.784.8571.
VF Corporation is a global leader in branded lifestyle apparel with more than 30 brands. The company's top six brands are The North Face®, Wrangler®,Timberland®, Vans®, Lee® and Nautica®; other brands include 7 For All Mankind®, Eagle Creek®, Eastpak®, Ella Moss®, JanSport®, John Varvatos®, Kipling®, lucy®, Majestic®, Napapijri®, Red Kap®, Reef®, Riders® , Splendid® and Smartwool®.
VF Corporation's press releases, annual report and other information can be accessed through the company's home page, www.vfc.com
How to Enter
GET INSPIRED FOR THE GREAT OUTDOORS
Wrangler® invites professional communicators to submit essays (150-200 words) and/or images (250 kb or less) that inspire others to enjoy the great outdoors. The Wrangler brand's favorites are posted online and entrants submitting them will receive a gift certificate for two outfits.
Who Can Enter: All individual members of a recognized association of outdoors or boating communicators in the U.S. or Canada. Individuals representing supporting members are not eligible.
How to Enter: E-mail your essay or photo to firstname.lastname@example.org
with "Get Inspired" in the subject line. Please include the following:
• Your name
• Your shipping address
• Your daytime phone number
• Your outdoor communicator profile (25 words or less)
• A brief description of where and how the image was created (if the entry is a photo)
• The outdoor and/or boating association(s) of which you are a member and the name and contact information of the Executive Director of each association
Essay Entries: Essay must be previously unpublished and between 150 and 200 words including the title and byline. Submit it as an attached file in Microsoft® Word format.
Photo Entries: Photo must be previously unpublished. Submit it as a .jpg file not exceeding 250 kb. Label the photo with your name and a title. Software-adjusted and/or composite images are allowed.
Essays and Photos: Individuals may submit up to four items in a calendar year, essays and/or images, so long as they are submitted separately. They must be solely your original work, not violate the rights of any third party, and not be offensive, inappropriate or otherwise unfit for publication
If Your Entry is Accepted: You will be notified by e-mail. About six to eight weeks later, you will receive a Wrangler Rugged Wear or Wrangler ProGear gift certificate for two outfits - two shirts and two pants - worth approximately $75. Sorry, no exchanges. Taxes, if any, are your responsibility. In addition, your entry will appear on either or all of these websites: www.wranglerruggedwear.com
Other Important Information:
• By accepting the gift certificate, you consent to Sponsor's use of your essay or photo (as applicable) for any lawful purpose whatsoever, without notice or approval by you and further agree to sign any documents relative to same that Sponsor may later require. The sponsor is Wrangler, a division of VF Jeanswear Limited Partnership, Greensboro, NC 27401 USA.
• This Program is not authorized, endorsed or sponsored by any association of outdoor or boating communicators.
• If you are an employee, be sure to obtain the permission of your employer before submitting an entry.
• Sponsor will not be responsible for any problems, defects or errors in submissions or for technological error, malfunction or failure of any kind.
• Sponsor (including its parent company, subsidiaries, divisions, affiliates and agencies) disclaims any liability in conjunction with the Program.
• Sponsor reserves the right to terminate the Program at any time, without liability, notice or obligation of any kind.
• Sponsor's decisions regarding the Program are final and binding. These Guidelines are subject to the internal, substantive law of North Carolina, USA.