Knoxville, Tennessee - SportDOG Brand, a leading manufacturer of electronic training products for sporting dogs, has announced seven finalists in its first-ever Future Forward Fund Grant Contest, which showcases innovative conservation projects. Finalists are vying for votes from the sporting community, and the project with the most votes will receive $25,000 to put toward completion of the initiative. Another $5,000 grant will go to the runner-up.
"Congratulations to the seven finalists in this unique contest for conservation," said Lance Tracy Vice President, SportDOG Brand. "It's humbling, exciting and encouraging to see how much time and effort volunteers will put forth for conservation causes."
Hunters, conservationists, SportDOG Brand customers and anyone else who understands the importance of conservation are encouraged to review the projects and cast their vote by visiting www.sportdog.com/FFF
. A review of the finalists follows; project outlines can be found at the web site.
1. Operation Outdoors - A program that immerses young adults in a curriculum designed to educate and expose them to upland bird ecology and management.
2. Abrams Property Project - A Wisconsin-based program designed to enhance the quality of feeding, breeding and roosting areas for migratory birds, as well as providing increased access for disabled hunters, and a controlled environment for teaching youth about waterfowl hunting traditions.
3. Habitat for Homecroft - A habitat project in which the school and community can participate, teaching youth about conservation, indicator species, native and non-native flora and fauna, and establish a new wetland and restore habitat for native species.
4. Sage Grouse Habitat Rejuvenation - Provide critical nesting and winter cover in an area that currently does not have as much as what is needed for sage grouse long-term survival to keep them off the Threatened and Endangered Species list.
5. Kansas Quail Initiative - A project designed to focus our quail habitat enhancement and restoration efforts in two strategic areas of the state.
6. Crawford County Landfill Reclamation - A strategy to reclaim 145 acres of a recently closed Iowa landfill and conduct woodland enhancement, planting of native forbs and grasses, construction of an outdoor classroom and related habitat improvements.
7. Saving North American Priority Waterfowl Breeding Habitat - Even though habitat loss in the Missouri Coteau has been very extensive, almost 3 million acres of native prairie and approximately 900,000 acres of prairie wetland habitats remain. These ecosystems depend upon each other for full functionality.
Voting continues until November 30, 2012, with one vote allowed per person, per 24-hour period. More shareable content can be found at facebook.com/SportDOGBrand
, and Twitter.com/SportDOGBrand
SportDOG Brand® of Knoxville, Tennessee, is a manufacturer of electronic dog training gear and accessories. Product lines include remote training collars, no-bark collars, an in-ground fence system and remote tracking systems. The company also carries training leashes, bells, collar straps, dummies, scents and whistles; TEK™ Series E-Collar+GPS Location and GPS Location only systems; and Canine Athlete™ nutritional products